Sunday 4 January 2015

The Theory of Everything

With sub-zero temperatures and night shifts there is time to look for inspiration elsewhere. The timing of this movie could not have been better. Not only is Stephen Hawking a truly inspirational man, but this was an equally inspirational portrayal of his life  by Eddie Redmayne.


Why is this significant within the context of transcontinental bike racing?


Somewhere a long the way I have found myself repeating a mantra to  countless young people who have been willing to listen. 'Everyone is good at something' I would say, but was unsure where I had heard it. The actual quote from the film, 'However difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at' has been my excuse at least for chasing challenges such as this and then trying to put it to some good.


I've decided to raise money toward the fight against ebola in West Africa, not because I'm worried about the spread of the disease to Europe or the UK, but because there are people young and old who have none of the advantages we take for granted. Could only dream of riding a bike across a continent. Indeed justifiably question why and live instead in daily fear of catching an illness that is highly likely to kill them.


I have a Paramedic colleague, Peter Simpson, who is currently working in Sierra Leone. I am in awe of those like him who are prepared to put themselves in harms way for the welfare of these people. please check out his story on youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGlvNjr826c


I shall start my fund-raising campaign next week, so look out for your chance to support the fight against ebola here.


I squeezed in another sharp 22 miles and am up to 86 for  the week. A small start, but a start none the less.

No comments:

Post a Comment