Friday 11 April 2014

340 Miles in the week and a sore butt.

What the heck does the Reedham Ferry have to do with the price of bread? Well quite frankly nothing, but then on a beautiful Wednesday morning, I wasn't buying bread.

I was, however, part way through my second hundred in a week and beginning to feel as though training had turned serious at last.

Starting the previous week I had completed a 60, a 120 and another 65 mile over four days and on this day I left home at 05:50 heading for Norwich and then further East to the sea at Dunwich. (That reminds me, I must look up the dates for the next 'Dunwich Dynamo', a 120 mile night ride I have yet to complete, but certainly on the radar.)

On the two longest rides, I have made a point of calling in to see either my father or mother, or both. My father still smiles in recognition when I pitch up. A fact that makes every mile worth a thousand times more than just a training exercise.

I took a chance by asking him if he would like to see the new bike and was delighted when he said 'yes.'

I was also very grateful to the staff, who agreed to let me put one of my posters up in Fox Earth. If I can finally work out how to allow people to follow me on this blog, I shall be a lot further along the fund-raising path than I currently am, but in the mean-time I have been learning plenty about long hours in the saddle.

Talking of which, here are two things that I shall be taking.

 After the 120 miles and the 65 two days later, I determined that the saddle that came with the new bike was never, ever going to see me through one 200 mile day, let alone 14!

This Brooks Flyer saddle on the other-hand, is advertised on their website for long-distance use and has come off the converted mountain bike that I did Land's End - John O'Groats (LEJOG) on, in 2010. It is well worn in and super comfortable

Ideally I would buy another, the Team Pro, which is
essentially the same style without the springs and therefore considerably lighter.

Team Pro S Chrome
I may yet, but since I have a good seat, there are other more important purchases that will come ahead of it.

Not least the small matter of the hub dynamo, lights and new front wheel that I have discovered will likely have to go with it. (All to do with spoking apparently.)
The other associated item, will be a small but perfectly formed tub of this well known product. Hopefully I don't have to spell it out, but I can cope with tired legs and thirst, but I can't cycle with a sore butt. (Sorry mother!)
Alzheimer's Society

No comments:

Post a Comment