Monday 2 March 2015

Blown through a few milestones

The stiff breeze forecast for this morning arrived as predicted, so having woken everyone else up with a cup of tea I headed out before 7.

This is the first part of a new routine designed to free up more time for the family at the weekends, though it is inevitable that I shall have to back-track from time to time. I had cycled 35 miles on Friday before the kids finished school and I was feeling pretty pleased to have covered 158 miles during a week when I had also worked four nights.

This morning I clocked in another 81, being pushed by the 20 + knot winds through the 1000 mile mark as I headed home from Swaffham.

Some of the smaller roads from West Acre through to Gressenhall are beautiful. Some, as I discovered, are not roads. A good way to test out the off-road feel of the bike.

Between whiles I have completed the planning of my route. Since finding out that we start in Geraardesbergen, I have provisionally booked accommodation in the Molen Ter Walle in Watermolenstraat, a couple of miles outside of town. Planning to arrive  the afternoon before, this should give me time to ensure that I am well rested, but still leave me time to enjoy a few hours exploring the town and taking a look at the Muur. (I posted a picture, taken by Mike, the organiser, in this blog, a couple of weeks ago.)

Having completed the route, I now also know that I have to cycle 2560 miles over the 16 days of the race.

Click for OptionsTo get there for the end of race party, I need to cover 160 miles a day. To get there before Kristoff, I need to fly!

116 miles, since I last wrote. 81 today.
1028 total
Ave 16.5 a day

To put this in perspective, I have not even reached half way race distance in 62 days. I need to do this in 8!

www.justgiving.com/stop-ebola

No comments:

Post a Comment