Friday 24 January 2014

This is how it works

So off the back of a stalled trans-Atlantic rowing bid, Steve, whom you'll hear more of later, challenges me to take part in the Transcontinental Bike Race. www.transcontinentalrace.com/

Never heard of it? Neither had I, but then it's first running only happened last year and then with only 30 riders. Check out the website for more info, but simply, it's a clock start, doesn't stop, until you arrive at the finish.....whenever that might be. No problems so far, right.

Race starts in London on the 9th August at 09:00 and the finish line is in Istanbul! Problem!

The winner last year finished in 7 and a 1/2 days!! Problem!! Man, that's some serious, serious miles, each day and the next and the next.

So it's a challenge in itself to take this on and for most that would be enough. To be honest, on one level it's enough for me too, but historically I have always tried to put this kind of strange-to-understand masochism to some use and this is no different. Previous fund-raisers like the London Marathon in 1997 supported the NSPCC and Land's End to John O'Groats in 2010 for The Samaritans johnnygiant-lejog4samaritans.blogspot.com


For the last 18 months or so my mother has been caring for my father, recently diagnosed with vascular dementia and now requiring 24/7 supervision. I do not know where she has found the strength and fortitude to manage. Accessing support and care at home is challenging. The resources are scarce and under-funded. Simply put, for some it is inadequate. I am not questioning the quality of care, there is just not enough of it.

Soon my father will have to move into a care-home environment, presenting my mother with the most difficult of decisions. How do you know when? How do you know how to rationalise this dichotomy that feels like a betrayal on the one hand, but a necessity on the other.

The Alzeimers Society www.alzheimers.org.uk/ support many other people in similar situations and so I am going to support them.
Alzheimer's Society




My fundraising page is www.justgiving.com/john-bakewell

Here goes. Please help me to achieve the ability to cycle 200 miles a day for 11 days by following me here and spread the word.

John

No comments:

Post a Comment